Uniform & Personal Appearance
Hair and dress codes may seem strict but they are based on ballet traditions for the best and safest training.
- No jewelry is to be worn during class, including watches.
- Only post earrings are allowed.
- Please be considerate of your child and make sure they come to class with enough time to get ready for class, with proper dance clothes, shoes, and hair done appropriately.
- Students should not arrive in only their ballet clothes or leave without being dressed in street wear over their dance clothing.
- Dance shoes must not be worn outside of the school. Dirt and debris picked up on shoes can ruin the dance floor.
Please see the photo for an example of how a bun should be done for class. Please do not use donuts in the hair. We recommend using hair nets, that can be purchased at any drugstore such as CVS, RiteAid, etc. Hairspray or hair gel can be used to keep flyways down.
Students must wear school colors for ballet (black leotard & pink tights). Hair must be pulled away from the face and pinned into a bun. No side parts allowed. If necessary, hair nets, gel, and hair spray should be used.
- Pre Ballet I & Pre Ballet II: Short sleeved or tank black leotard (no decorations of any kind, no criss cross straps & no ballet skirts), Danskin theatrical pink tights or Capezio ballet pink tights, pink leather full sole ballet shoes – triple knot and cut drawstrings (no bows).
- Pre Ballet III: Short sleeved or tank black leotard (no decorations of any kind, no criss cross straps & no ballet skirts), Danskin theatrical pink tights or Capezio ballet pink tights, pink canvas split sole ballet shoes – triple knot and cut drawstrings (no bows).
- Vaganova Level Girls: Black camisole style leotard with a pinch front, low back cut (no decorations of any kind, no criss cross straps). Capezio ballet pink tights or Danskin theatrical pink tights and pink canvas split sole ballet shoes with ribbons, pink pointe shoes with ribbons if applicable. Preferred Leotard Brands: Balera Low Back Pinch Front (item#MT2214N), Mondor Matrix, Sansha Shelby or Sansha Alessandra. These leotards can be purchased through: Dance Supplies, Etc in Severna Park or New York Dance Store (on-line), Dancewear Solutions, or Alessandra. During parent watch classes and Student Presentation, all Vaganova III & IV levels must wear a white uniform (White skirted leotard & white grosgrain 1/2″ wide hair ribbon)
- Male Students: black tights and athletic supporter/Dance Belt, white T-shirt, and black or white ballet shoes. (If white shoes are worn, white socks will also need to be part of the uniform.)
- We suggest that all students in Vaganova I through Vaganova IV purchase the book; Basic Principles of Classical Ballet, By Agrippina Vaganova
*All female students will be required to purchase a ballet skirt to be used for open classes and for Student Presentation. See chart below.
Skirt Brands & Style Numbers
Pre Ballet I, II & III
Pink Skirt: Natalie Child Skirt N9301C or Capezio TC0011C from Discount Dance Supply
Vaganova I & II
Black Skirt: M. Stevens 531G from Discount Dance Supply for Adult size, Girls Ballet Wrap Skirt Style# TH5109C – also available on Discount Dance
Vaganova III & IV
Character / Folk
Female Students: Black leotard (no decorations of any kind, no criss cross straps). Black Character skirt (2″ below the bottom of the knee, character skirts are sold in multiple lengths), pink tights, black character shoes with a 1.5″ heel and tan jazz slip on shoes.
Male Students: Black T-shirt, Black Jazz pants and Tan Jazz slip on shoes
Female Students: BLACK LEOTARD and BLACK JAZZ PANTS (mandatory)
with TAN* jazz slip-on shoes.
Hair pulled into a ponytail or bun.
Character shoes for broadway must have 1.5″ heels.
Male Students: BLACK T-SHIRT and BLACK JAZZ PANTS with TAN* jazz slip-on shoes
- NO decorations of any kind, no criss cross straps, or t-shirts.
- NO shorts, capris, sweatpants or leggings.
- NO jazz boots or jazz tennis shoe.
*Performance shoe to be determined.
Female Students: Black leotard (no decorations of any kind, no criss cross straps, shorts or t-shirts) with pink tights and black mid-calf leggings. The hair must be pulled into a bun.
Male Students: Black T-Shirt and Black Jazz Pants
- Tap I: Girls – Tan* buckle or velcro Bloch brand Tap-On style. Boys – Black Oxford style tap shoe
- Tap II: Girls – Tan* buckle Bloch brand Tap-On style. Boys – Black Oxford style tap shoe
- Tap III: Black Oxford split sole style tap shoe for class (performance shoe to be determined)
- Tap IV: Black Oxford style tap shoe for class (performance shoe to be determined)
Female Students: Black camisole style leotard with a pinch front, low back cut (no decorations of any kind, no criss cross straps). Capezio convertable/transition ballet pink tights or Danskin convertable/transition theatrical pink tights. Tan Jazz slip on shoes
Male Students: Black T-shirt and black Jazz pants. Tan Jazz slip on shoes
Yoga / Stretch for Dancers
This class will alternate every week between Yoga and Pilates. If the student does not have these items they will not be permitted to take the class.
- Yoga: Yoga Mat & 2 traditional wool or Mexican blankets, 2 blocks
- Stretch: Yoga Mat
Items to include in dance security kit for all Vaganova Level students.
- Hair pins, hair nets and hair spray.
- Needle and thread
- Bio freeze
- Second skin
- Single use ice pack