Uniform & Personal Appearance
We now have an online store with GTM Sportswear that features different apparel and accessories. Every piece has our school logo on it! View the store here!
Hair and dress codes may seem strict but they are based on ballet traditions for the best and safest training.
- NO jewelry is to be worn during class, including watches. Only post earrings are allowed.
- Please be considerate of your child and make sure they come to class with enough time to get ready for class, with proper dance clothes, shoes, and hair done appropriately.
- Students should arrive with their dance uniform on, with street wear over their dance clothing. This is for the student’s safety.
- Dance shoes must not be worn outside of the school. Dirt and debris picked up on shoes can ruin the shoes and dance floor.
- NO decorations of any kind on the leotards used for class – no criss cross straps, no designs or bedazzling. T-shirts may be worn ONLY for the Adult Jazz class and it must be a PLAIN black t-shirt, no designs or logos allowed.
- NO shorts, sweatpants or leggings allowed to be worn in class.
- NO jazz boots or jazz tennis shoe allowed.
Please see the photo for an example of how a bun should be done for class. Please do not use donuts in the hair. We recommend using hair nets, that can be purchased at any drugstore such as CVS, RiteAid, etc. Hairspray or hair gel can be used to keep flyways down.
– Students must wear school colors for ballet (black leotard & pink tights).
– Hair must be pulled away from the face and pinned into a bun. No side parts allowed. If necessary, hair nets, gel, and hair spray should be used.
– Leotards cannot have decorations of any kind and no criss-cross straps. Leotards worn during regular class cannot have attached ballet skirts. *Please see below for uniform requirements during Parent Watch Week.*
- Pre Ballet I & Pre Ballet II: Short sleeved or tank black leotard, Danskin theatrical pink tights or Capezio ballet pink tights, pink leather full sole ballet shoes with ONE elastic strip – triple knot and cut drawstrings (no bows).
- Pre Ballet III: Short sleeved or tank black leotard, Danskin theatrical pink tights or Capezio ballet pink tights, pink canvas split sole ballet shoes with ONE elastic – triple knot and cut drawstrings (no bows).
- Vaganova Level I, II, III: Black camisole style leotard with a pinch front, low back cut Capezio ballet pink tights or Danskin theatrical pink tights and pink canvas split sole ballet shoes with ribbons (no elastic) (ribbons will need to be purchased separately and sewn onto the shoes), pink pointe shoes with ribbons if applicable.
– Preferred Leotard Brands: Balera Low Back Pinch Front (item#MT2214N), Mondor Matrix, Sansha Shelby or Sansha Alessandra. These leotards can be purchased through: Dance Supplies, Etc in Severna Park, New York Dance Store (on-line), Dancewear Solutions, or Alessandra.
- Male Students: black tights and athletic supporter/Dance Belt, white T-shirt, and black or white ballet shoes. (If white shoes are worn, white socks will also need to be part of the uniform.)
- We suggest that all students in Vaganova I through Vaganova IV purchase the book; Basic Principles of Classical Ballet, By Agrippina Vaganova
*All female students will be required to purchase a ballet skirt to be used for open classes and for Student Presentation. See chart below.*
Skirt Brands & Style Numbers
Pre Ballet I, II & III
Pink Skirt: Natalie Child Skirt N9301C or Capezio TC0011C from Discount Dance Supply
Vaganova I & II
Black Skirt: M. Stevens 531G for Adult Size, Girls Ballet Wrap Skirt Style# TH5109C for Child Size from Discount Dance Supply
Vaganova III & IV
White Skirted Leotard: Mirella M201L2 from Discount Dance Supply 3/8 satin white ribbon is required around the bun.
Character / Folk
Female Students: Black leotard (no decorations of any kind, no criss cross straps). Black Character skirt (2″ below the bottom of the knee, character skirts are sold in multiple lengths), pink tights, black character shoes with a 1.5″ heel and tan jazz slip on shoes.
Male Students: Black T-shirt, Black Jazz pants, athletic supporter/Dance Belt and Tan Jazz slip on shoes
Hair: Hair must be up in a bun.
Female Students: Black leotard and Black Jazz Pants with TAN* jazz slip-on shoes. Character shoes for Broadway must have 1.5″ heels.
Male Students: BLACK T-SHIRT and BLACK JAZZ PANTS with TAN* jazz slip-on shoes, athletic supporter/Dance Belt.
- NO decorations of any kind, no criss cross straps, or t-shirts.
- NO shorts, capris, sweatpants or leggings.
- NO jazz boots or jazz tennis shoe.
*Performance shoe to be determined. May not be the same shoe used for class.
Hair: Hair should be pulled back into a bun or tight, slicked back ponytail.
Female Students: Black leotard (no decorations of any kind, no criss cross straps, shorts or t-shirts) with pink tights and black mid-calf leggings.
Male Students: Black T-Shirt and Black Jazz Pants, athletic supporter/Dance Belt.
- Tap I: Girls – Tan* buckle or velcro Bloch brand Tap-On style. Boys – Black Oxford style tap shoe
- Tap II: Girls – Tan* buckle Bloch brand Tap-On style. Boys – Black Oxford style tap shoe
- Tap III: Black Oxford split sole style tap shoe for class (performance shoe to be determined)
Hair: Hair must be pulled back from the face in a bun. No ponytails allowed.
Female Students: Black camisole-style leotard with a pinch front, low back cut (no decorations of any kind, no criss cross straps). Capezio convertable/transition ballet pink tights or Danskin convertable/transition theatrical pink tights. Tan Jazz slip on shoes
Male Students: Black T-shirt and black Jazz pants, athletic supporter/Dance Belt. Tan Jazz slip on shoes
Hair: Hair must be pulled back, preferably in a bun, or tight ponytail.
Yoga / Stretch for Dancers
The Yoga class is custom-tailored to combine traditional Yoga movements and positions while incorporating necessary stretching for dancers. If the student does not have the items below they will not be permitted to take the class.
- Yoga: Yoga Mat & 2 traditional wool or Mexican blankets, 2 blocks
- Stretch: Yoga Mat, Stretch Band, Flexistretcher (if required by teacher)
Items to include in dance security kit for all Vaganova Level students.
- Hair pins, hair nets, bobby pins and hair spray/hair gel
- Needle and thread
- Bio freeze
- Second skin
- Single use ice pack
- Extra pair of tights
- Safety Pins